Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Our song is the slam of screen doors...

Yep, I'm jammin to Taylor Swift as I write this. Don't judge.

Exciting tid bit-- I was sitting here yesterday in the apartment and got a call from an "unknown" number. I answer it to hear a very foreign but oh so familiar sounding "Hello? Hello?" It was my friend Christian from Ghana! After I left Ghana he called me every couple of months or so to see how things were, but I hadn't heard from him since February, so this was quite the pleasant surprise. I was glad to hear that he and his family are doing well. He told me that he was at a "station" in Ho, which means he was essentially at a bus-stop in this town that we went to quite a bit when I was there. It's so odd how the most random event can completely transport you back to another place and time. All of a sudden in my mind, I was walking down the dusty streets of Ho, admiring the batik fabric at the shops and sweating out all the liquid contents of my body while my shoulders crisped in the sun making awesome back pack tan lines (my friends and I were convinced Ho was the center of the earth). I cannot believe that it was two years ago that I called Ghana home. Every time a memory hits me like that I have to fight the sadness pretty hard. It was such an adventurous, fun time in my life. And those Ghanaians are the sweetest people on the face of the planet in my book. I would love to hear the melodious sound of a Ghanaian laugh again. Anywho, that's my little jaunt down memory lane. It was great to hear from an old friend and so wonderful to think of all the adventures I had there and continue to have here. Moving on...

Brian is at school, and I'm starting to get a wee bit bored with all my free time... But, don't fret. I have had another project to keep me occupied. I am currently working on the final steps of this one, which is just applying varnish. Varnish! This is a new discovery for me, and honestly, it makes me want to go back and re-do every painting I've ever done. How did I not know about varnish before? I guess there's always more to learn. Anyway, it's nothing super exciting, but it does prevent the painting from yellowing and adds a nice glossy finish. It does, however, make it difficult to take pictures without a glare, so I took these before I added the varnish. After I put on another layer and let them dry, these lovelies will go above the bed. Hopefully then it will actually looks like people live in that room. It's a tad bare.



Do you like it? We think of it as wind and fire... It was fun to do. I'm really enjoying keeping some of my artwork--usually I just give it all away, so this is a nice change! If you feel the hankering for a Katie Strickland original in your very own living room, give me a hollar. I've got lots of time. And yours will include varnish :)

No comments:

Post a Comment