Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Rain and Venice

The Emerald City is a looking a little gray today. Is anyone else a little depressed about the daylight savings time thing? I really love the whole sleep-an-extra-hour thing, but it starts getting dark here at like 4:30! Crazy. I am such a spring/summer/early fall person, it's ridiculous. Rain and cold just don't quite do it for me. We have had some nice days, though, and when it's nice here, it is just beautiful!

Enough weather talk-- I sound like my parents. This weekend was pretty great. We had some friends over on Friday, and it was nice to get to know them a bit better and eat some good food. We also went to this church that we've been going to fairly regularly. We had to get there early because Brian joined the choir, so he had to warm up with them. That left me, the one who has negative singing talent, sitting outside on a bench reading Time and waiting for something to do. This is when I met an adorable old woman named Venice (fantastic name, right?). She hobbled over to me on her walker, sat right down, and pretty much told me her life story. She came out to Seattle when she was about our age. She came on a train from Minnesota, and said her parents thought she was crazy, leaving for this city with no place to live and no job. I chuckled a bit, seeing as that's exactly what I did. I think she landed a job a tad faster than I have, though. She said she moved out here to "meet a man," and that she did. She's been here for 66 years. She was adorable, and it was a great spot in my day.

Brian and I have officially volunteered to serve a Thanksgiving meal for homeless people, which I'm pretty excited about. At churches I have previously attended, I've always heard about events like that, but I've never been able to work them. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday ever, and I'm really excited to be doing some service on that day to spread a little of the Thanksgiving joy. Something good to look forward to. 

And I'll leave you with this... Rain drops on our balcony.

No comments:

Post a Comment