Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

From sea to SEA...

Aight, so today in our massive boredom in the middle of Kansas (more on that in a minute), we discovered that both Brian and I were on the east coast in March-- he was in Florida and I was at Hilton Head, SC-- and drove back to each of our schools. Meaning, (insert drum roll here) between March and September, we will have both driven from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific! Talk about an American road trip. Woooooh, boy, that's a lot of road. And gas... sigh...
We left the Schaeffer's this morning at a good time, and just arrived in Denver (ish) this evening! We are officially in Mountain Time zone, fyi. The drive today was all of Kansas. All of freaking boring Kansas. Here's what we saw today, in the order we saw it (please, try not to get too excited)...

Panera! (had to get my coffee fix)
Wheat.
Topeka. It was desolate. I don't think people live there.
Wheat.
Wheat.
Wind farm (actually pretty cool).
Wheat.
Wheat.
Sunflowers.
Wheat.
BUFFALO!
Wheat.
Sunflowers.
Gas station.
Wheat.
Wheat.


And finally..... (wait for it!)....




MOUNTAINS! AHHHHHHH! I was so excited to see mountains. I claimed that I saw them on the horizon every 15 minutes after we crossed into Colorado. I think I was hallucinating. The mountains in the wheat fields was like my oasis in the desert. I was so excited to see them. Oh my gosh.

There were a few things we learned today though... Buffaloes are the rodents of the Great Plains, no one actually lives in Kansas, and I am a genius when it comes to Colorado trivia. Seriously. I got all 5 questions of the Colorado Brain Quest. Bam, baby.

Tomorrow's agenda: Leave the Denver area early and starting our journey through the mountains, where we will break at Vail and hopefully (depending on cost) take a ski lift up the mountain.

PS- I'm sitting outside and it's 80 something degrees. So glad to be out of Memphis and it's center-of-the-earth temperatures.

1 comment: